Thursday, November 11, 2010

Can Money Managers Add Value To Your Portfolio?

MoneyBased on a dismal record of money managers to outperform benchmarks, we have to take the argument that markets are efficient very seriously.  Recent statistics shows that 0.002% of Hedge Fund managers outperform the S&P 500 over a period of 5 years time!

When we go about building our investment strategy, benchmark, style, or passive and active investing, we must consider the overall average performance of each investment class over a period of at least five years.  Doing so, ensures your money has staying power.

In our own practice, we use only institutional-class index funds.  Today it is possible to index almost the entire world.  I think that approach gives us the highest probability of a successful outcome with the lowest risk.  To the extent possible, I want to see predictable results.  I hate underperforming the benchmark more than I would enjoy overperforming.  That makes me pretty much like my clients: risk averse. 

On a side note:

A special thanks to Dr. Karl W. Einolf, Ph.D. of Mount St. Mary’s University for allowing me the opportunity to lecture his Corporate Finance classes yesterday.  It’s truly an honor and I hope I was able to impart some practical knowledge for the students as they go on to graduation and beyond! 

No comments:

Post a Comment