Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Believing in Your Product or Service

All too often, Financial Advisors who are just starting out (and some veterans, too), get stuck promoting a product or service they know is a dog.  I know this sounds harsh, but lots of people have earned a living simply by taking the money and checking out at the end of the day.  But I promise you this:  If you don’t believe in what you’re doing, you won’t have the energy it takes to find out what you need to understand your customers and the value of your product to them. You won’t want to do whatever it takes to make your idea a success.  And if you’re a “Samurai Worrier,” you probably need a strong belief in your product just to drag yourself into work each day, let alone be successful at promoting it.
The Financial Services industry has the second highest employee turn over rate in the nation!  Second, only to Real Estate sales.  Why?  Because many people find that, while the money and income can be good, the product or service they are required to sell to get to that certain comfort level requires true passion and belief.  Many people get into Real Estate sales because they are on one of these three stages in life.  They were laid off or fired from their jobs, retired, or they have the entrepreneur spirit and wanted to be on their own.
I’ll admit it, I too, got foolish and got into Real Estate sales.  I was 28 at the time, and retired from my full time employment.  CAM Trading was self-sufficient enough and generated passive income for me, so I was able to take some of my time and money to pursue that.  Plus, I had seen an infomercial one late night and thought, “wow, I could be sitting in my own private island right now, wearing a buttoned-down floral shirt, but only if I call right now and order, operators are standing by!”
Two weeks after I made my first real estate sale (and a total time investment of 2 months), I decided that my passion wasn’t there.  I couldn’t get myself out of the house and into that drab Realty office to sit there for an hour answering phones.  I enjoyed the training and learning about real estate law, but it was a means to an end (getting to buy my private island to sip some fruity drink).   I ultimately wanted to relate to, talk to, and manage other people’s investments.  Being a realtor didn’t allow for that.
Unlike my real estate sales experience, I’m in this business because I know we can do better for people regarding their investment choices, in fact, we have in the 5 short years of going pro.
So, when you do what your inner calling directs you to do, you’re more comfortable, happier, more energized, more focused.  And those qualities bring success, whatever success means for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment